permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture courses offering official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jenny Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture courses offering official certification
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:53:24 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Toby's comment that "...Permaculture is largely regarded as too
hippie and flakey to be worth paying attention to. The vast majority of
people, the ones doing the real damage, are repulsed--or worse, amused--by
those attitudes and will never take permaculture seriously until we stop our
self-righteous insistence that everyone have our radical, minority politics
before we work with them. If we want to keep permaculture limited to our
little elite, then let's not offer diplomas and let's only do cheap courses
in an old barn. To talk to more people, you have to speak in their language,
not force them to speak yours."

Yes! The more professionally we present ourselves, the wider and more
"mainstream" the audience we are attracting. I've been working for some years
as a publicist and registrar for various permaculture courses, and I've
watched this happen. And like Toby, I have had more success filling the
courses that charged reasonable tuition, than I have had filling the courses
where we were willing to let people take the course for super cheap or free
just to fill the class. Furthermore, in my experience, classes where we've
charged full tuition seem to attract more students who attend all days,
finish their designs, and go on to incorporate permaculture into their
profession in some way. (I personally feel that it would be a good thing for
the world if all of us permie grads, even those of us who don't work as
permaculture teachers or designers per se, keep on finding new ways to
"permaculture" our jobs.)

By the way, the Austin Permaculture Guild, Austin, Texas, USA, is among those
that offer a Permaculture Design Certificate (as distinguished from a
"certification") course. Our next course starts in January, and is a commuter
course offered on weekends. This format taps into a large segment of the
local population: people who work during the week at office jobs, or at their
own businesses. A very desirable audience in terms of promoting the spread of
permaculture.

I do think the diploma and certification process is an excellent addition.
Post-gradute work, as it were. I feel that many PDC grads are hungry for
this, and that it would serve the planet well.

Jenny Nazak
(Living on the Atlantic Coast of Florida now, but still helping out my dear
friends in the Austin Permaculture Guild!)

>From cdupoldt@yahoo.com Sun Oct 24 17:35:28 2010
t=1287956126; bh=DF4FzU2Nxda+E7yJ6uLpmhtd7N0uez4xeJFQPNrniqY=;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=t/XYZ0E2IHnGUIGSgMSF4r7hP+FEreQWXu4RQI9s++RPAPzfNIWbKO5DJHsJlYsNnr6uanmUJ1Se1mlmMNFtvc1BRFyY9q0HW5hqgrSEt2txzQbBvav/2VAeQzgr3vl8a1W9w/377KHJWWB/exJAkmdM9va/cUkj5IcQYMC8+cQ=

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=yoSjUmJPYcFcm144EHK6Culn6xd2+plXEJ3gc9+lUynIXyAvcB+uRfuj0g2NhGI/8mY34oX1P78+OpVSr+qr7nzylMMD11WsfbuPJHyzoAR8qD6D8j55jAa47IjoE6ZbrVjVScs4Gi/V7PXtW5sNduOW5DUCavf1ILVSG+R32G0=;