permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Groundwater depletion worldwide - new study

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Groundwater depletion worldwide - new study
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:19:25 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:14:06 +1100
From: Don Miller <donmillernz@GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

One needs to look at the quality of water that might be returned to
groundwater. If drainage from irrigation is used as an example, a highly
saline water might be returned which could affect future use of that
aquifer.

One possibility is to use vegetative terraces (no earthworks involved) that
slow runoff, control soil erosion and increase infiltration. Areas of
Ethiopia where this system has been used has a seen a resurgence of springs
and waterlands at the toes of the slopes. This approach can be used at
almost any scale - I am restoring eroded microcatchments in Vanuatu and now
streams are flowing clean again 10 years later.
Don