permaculture - [permaculture] Back to the basic ethics....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Thomas Naisbitt <johntnaisbitt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Back to the basic ethics....
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:15:48 -0700

Good morning,

I am 40 years old, not an academic, hold no real title in life, and know
much less in detail about plant species, soils, electrophysics of water
molecules, etc. than many of you on this list. My life has taken me to the
extremes of conservatism and liberalism through work, geographical location,
and the process of learning and being alive. I have travelled throughout the
planet and find that the "common" people, those which blend into the
environment, are my best of friends. In the evolutionary scheme of things, I
imagine that I am being phased out due to my lack of academic intellect,
competitive nature, and the tendency to "flee" over "fight".

Over the past few months, I have been very busy automatically hitting the
"delete" tab on my browser to rid myself of the ongoing threads of pointless
discussion which has been targeting those who I feel are mentors and assets
in the Permaculture leadership and educational field. I see a pattern of a
well known George Orwell story about a group of farm animals bickering
amongst themselves; resulting in a lack of productivity and separation /
segregation.

The ethics of Permaculture are simple and straightforward. Understanding
that is human nature to try to define rules and set forth precise guidelines
to follow; the argument at hand is not uncommon in social circles. I
personally believe that simplicity is best left alone for evolution on its
own. Why do we need to waste our time perfecting something which is perfect
in itself? Simple and open to interpretation and evolution.... should be
left that way.

We are human, not Gods. We are the only species among millions on the planet
which is capable of emotional sufferage; most likely natures way of keeping
us in check. This capability generates fear within us all, and that fear
drives us to self preservation. This self preservation is more selfish than
not, protecting us from emotional damage while damaging the physical and
social world around us. Thus, we will always have war, hate, arrogance,
greed, ignorance, and lust. In return, we will always have acceptance,
understanding, intelligence, and love. In our current evolutional state, we
cannot possibly have one side without the other. We are not perfect, nor do
we "perfect" the structures we invent.

We are on this planet for a short geological time. Through our own arrogance
thinking that we, as humans, have the power to rule and judge the natural
processes which surround us we have arranged for our own downfall.... and
nature is on the warpath.... slowly but surely she will smudge us out....
and try again in a few million years of rest. I like to keep things simple
and open in my life, knowing that every bit of good (at least I believe it
is good) I do for myself, others, or the planet has a downstream effect. If
I cordially greet a criminal, gang member, or violent offender, it will have
an impact down the road. If we teach a positive, regenerating skill to a
trained killer, it will have an impact down the road. If I begin to "assist"
the land in it's natural healing process, it will have an impact down the
road. These impacts may not take place today, tomorrow, next year, or even
with this generation; but will be felt "downstream" within our short
existence on this planet. Thus giving back that which is due. What I do
today, I do for my great grandchildren.... and theirs.

That is my piece. Attack me as you will, I will most likely avoid any
further discussion regarding this topic.

Thank you for your service.

Taking care,

John T Naisbitt