permaculture - [permaculture] Waterboxx - watering system for arid climates

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Waterboxx - watering system for arid climates
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:06:53 -0500

Hello Everyone,

My brother-in-law just forwarded me some inforamtion on what looks like a very nifty device called the waterboxx. It collects rainwater and dew, and releases it slowly to a seed or transplant you at its center. Once the plant is established you take the box away and use it to plant another tree. Below are some links with material that describes it - but it is a simple device for starting seeds or small transplants especially in arid climates. I am considering buying a sample box of 10 to experiment with them. For those of you who have never had the joy of watering in an arid climate, irrigation systems are a major hassle and require an amazing amount of work to keep maintained. This looks simple enough I could handle it. LOL.
I checked the archives, but didn't see any posts on this. Has anyone ever heard of it or tried playing around with it? This looks like an elegant solution for getting perennial polycultures going in tough areas.
Cheers,

Marjory

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/invention-awards-watering-plants-desert

http://www.groasis.com/page/uk/index.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRF2bUBPA90&feature=related

  • [permaculture] Waterboxx - watering system for arid climates, Marjory, 09/03/2010