permaculture - [permaculture] Milking a single dairy cow with calf

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Amy Little <amylittle@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Milking a single dairy cow with calf
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:59:51 -0400

Hi Folks,
Any of you with experience with a dairy cow: We have a single mother with a 3 month old calf who is with her and nursing. She was giving us 2-4 gallons twice a day but has slowed up to barely a gallon in two milkings.
So... the questions:
Is this something we should expect?
What is the best way to wean?
Could we cut back to one milking a day if we wean?

We would really like to keep calf with mother, keep mother grass-fed, and keep getting milk for us.

Any advice welcome,
Amy