permaculture - [permaculture] update on Cherry tree flies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: carolyn anderson <cschampagne@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] update on Cherry tree flies
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 13:39:07 -0400

I posted a query earlier today about what I thought was flies laying eggs on
the leaves of my relatively newly planted Cherry tree.
Turns out they're Japanese Beetles, and they're here in droves!
I took off a small branch and put it in a jar and now have 2 dozen of them
in a jar!
About 6 on each leaf!

I see online I can use insecticidal soap as long as I get it on the insects,
and someone suggested knocking them off the tree into buckets of soapy water
at night.
What's the best way to get rid of them and keep them from coming back?
What Being feasts on Japanese Beetles?
I have lots of other plants around the tree, which forms the foundation of a
guild, so I'm not interested in any toxic chemicals.

Thanks to everyone for all you do!

Carolyn