permaculture - [permaculture] Ancient rubber-making techniques

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Ancient rubber-making techniques
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:25:12 -0700

Here's a fascinating blurb on ancient Mesoamerican rubber-making techniques,
not involving vulcanization. I would imagine the craft is rather complex,
but it sounds from the article that the recipe is not: latex from the rubber
tree and the sap of an Ipomoea. I'm sure some of you in the tropics might
think of permacultural applications for such a technique.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/mayaball-0524

-Ben