permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Carbon farming as solution to climate change?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Holger Hieronimi <holger@tierramor.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Carbon farming as solution to climate change?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:08:14 -0500

Hola-

Like every strategy in permaculture, the power lies in relationships and a systemic perspective -

There always exists the danger of over-promotion one "solution" (f. ex. : Carbon sequestering in soils by raising organic matter), if we don´t put it in context with all the other proposals that permaculture offers- ethical and design principles of PC provide an essential framework here, as Darren points out-

I recently purchased "Priority One" by Alan Yeomans (often cited as one of the basic books en relation to carbon farming) and am quite surprised & intrigued by the authors insistence in nuclear energy and biofuels. He gets even so far, that he denounces a conspiracy of Oil Companies and Environmental Activists TOGETHER, against Nuclear Energy.

O.K, this guy is a nuclear physicist and probably defends his playground, but it seems that the "big message" ("sequestering all excess CO2 in the atmosphere with agriculture in 10 years") gets diluted and loses considerable credibility and even relevance, if this means that we have to build hundreds of nuclear power plants and cultivate biodiesel ...

Addressing climate change without considering resource constrains, is a well explored strategy used by governments, corporations and other technocrats. Its part of the problem.

Regards

holger