permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 86, Issue 33 growing along roadsides

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: A Sampson-Kelly <april@permaculturevisions.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 86, Issue 33 growing along roadsides
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:04:11 +1100

At first when i planted out the area in front of my home I worried about pollutants, coal dust from the mine trucks, fumes, rubbish thrown from cars etc.
I concentrated on useful plants such as flaxes and comfrey for composting etc
then i realised that this area doesn't have to be food grown for now, it can be my food-bank - an area from which i can grow food plants for the seeds to use
in a more protected area the following years. This acts a safety net in case the plants in my garden die off or are attacked by something (such as the deer).
Also, on a side note I have observed some small natural benefit of highways and busy roads, we have plovers that nest along the busy roads because they are somewhat protected from marauding dogs (which can get caught in the grills of the busy traffic).

April S-Kelly

Call 42285774
Fax +61 2 82087062 (from overseas) Fax 02 82087062 (within Australian)
Write: 280 Cordeaux Rd Mt Kembla Village 2526 Australia

Students and Graduates Worldwide 46 Countries- Argentina, Australia - (every state), Azerbaijan, Brazil, Botswana, Bulgaria, Bermuda, Costa Rica, Canada- BC,ON, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Finland, Great Britain, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Holland, Honduras, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jerusalem, Jordan, Kuwait, New Zealand, Malaysia, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Republic of South Africa, Qatar, Spain, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, UK, USA (Alaska, CA, FL, KS, HA, IA, IL, IN, TN, ME, MT, NC, NM, OR, PA, SD, TX,VT, WA, WI), Venezuela, Wanica. Can't find your nation? Get on board.
Scholarships for People with Special Needs and Opportunities, Discounts for Young and Retired Participants.
ISO 14000, We are a carbon-neutral office.
mailto:april@permaculturevisions.com <mailto:info@permaculturevisions.com>
http://www.permaculturevisions.com <http://www.permaculturevisions.com/>
See Our Giant Portal related to Permaculture Design Topics: http://www.permaculturevisions.com/links/

Please consider your environment before printing this email on old-fashioned paper.*
Now's your chance to save paper, save a tree, save storage, save ink, save on indoor air pollution control and medicine, save on repairs for leads and printer, save power, save money. Save on having to stand up to attend the printer, *save filing,* save having to locate the files later, save having to type it all back in somewhere, sometime later.
Now's your chance to take this millisecond to get outside and throw any tomatoe seeds from your lunch into a pot plant OR pour out the dregs of your drink as fertliser.* more <http://www.permaculturevisions.com/Potted_Worm_Farm.html>