permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Garden in Germany would like helper(s)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Garden in Germany would like helper(s)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:28:29 -0400

Nina Rinkes wrote:

Hi, there!

We'd like to grow vegetables,
get chicken and build a little outdoor-kitchen.
How do you plan to cook in this outdoor kitchen? Wood? Gas stove?

Wood. We also use it for heating in the house. The outdoor kitchen is the last thing on the list, though. Must get the vegetable garden going first, so there's something to cook! Also, we've got a little open fire-place in the garden, which we can use in the mean time.

Hello Nina & thanks for the reply. Your home cuisine really captured my attention; it represents nearly the best nutritional regimen I could imagine, and all home grown and prepared.

I spent a lot of time this past winter experimenting with wood fired outdoor cooking stoves, mostly one made out of scrap metal stock, parts and implements. Also a rocket stove type. If you have access to cutting and welding equipment you can make some fancy stoves, otherwise a masonry stove is probably a better idea. There are plenty of plans for these on the Web. Ideally you would combine use of an outdoor wood fired bake oven with bread making and cooking food, meat, casseroles. But a separate masonry wood fired cook stove is highly recommended, one with a grill and with a hot metal surface for slow cooking (like rice! best way to cook that by far).

We promise you good food (mostly organic and local, our own home-made
rye sourdough bread, spelt flat bread, kimchi and other vegetable
ferments, hearty stews made from scratch, fresh salads, tasty local
cheeses...) and merry company! You could sleep in the house in a
little room with a big balcony or in a tent, as you like.
ohmygod, I'll be leaving tommorow....:-)

What food!!!

LL....:

Yeah, head over then!
Nina

If I were younger and had the $$$ to travel I would really enjoy a few weeks with you all. If you're ever over here in the USA you are welcome to stay (kinda spartan accomodations but interesting and natural) a while at my farm: http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com.