permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture in prisons

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gavinraders@gmail.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture in prisons
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:10:41 +0000

Hi Michael,
As part of our food justice/permaculture work at Planting Justice, we
teach urban permaculture at San Quentin State Prison to 35 medium security
inmates in collaboration with the Insight Garden Program. Currently we have a
1000 sq foot native plant medicinal and flower garden that the guys have
built and tend to, and we have submitted a proposal to build a permaculture
inspired raised bed veggie/herb garden behind their dorms. Unfortunately,
prison rules will prohibit the guys from eating any of the food they grow, so
it will be donated to low-income families in Oakland, and we will attempt to
donate it specifically to the families of the guys we work with who live in
the area as a way to connect the guys inside with their loved ones on the
outside. It has been a tremendous experience, transformative for ourselves,
and especially transformative for the guys, who cultivate patience and
nurturance for themselves and those around them through their work in the
garden. Some of their reflections about their experience gardening in prison
are on our website at www.plantingjustice.org

And we have another incredible prison permaculture project in the making! We
are in conversation with the sherrifs office at Santa Rita jail in Dublin to
embark upon a much larger permaculture garden/green jobs training program on
multiple acres adjacent to the prison, and thus far the officials are very
supportive. We are working with the sherrifs office to collaboratively raise
funding to make it happen. Everything happens VERY SLOWLY at prisons in our
experience, so stick with it, don't accept no the first or fifth time, and
find/build your allies on the inside! We'll post on the Santa Rita project
when we have movement.
All the best,
Gavin
Co-founder, Planting Justice