permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:37:50 -0600

One of the things I was thinking of is what if you created drainage
trenches on the ground at the dripline & harvested the water there
rather than at the eave level. I could do something really simple
like making a trench & lining it with 8 mil plastic. The trench would
have to be graded so that it moves the water away from the barn.

According to calculations based on the following equation

A = (catchment area of building)

R = (inches of rain)

G = (total amount of collected rainwater)

(A) x (R) x (600 gallons) / 1000 = (G)

My barn should generate over 50,000 gallons of rainwater or 1800
gallons for a 1" rainfall.

~mIEKAL