permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Gutter options for water catchment from a barn
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:26:26 -0800

I don't know of larger gutter than the standard stuff, but I have solved overflow problems by placing downspouts at frequent intervals, instead of just at one or two corners. That is often the limiting factor: not simply that the gutters fill but that they can't be emptied fast enough. I connected them via 4" pipe, instead of the usual 3". You could go even larger, and you could make the downspouts (past the fitting from the gutter) out of larger pipe also. Of course, larger pipe is more expensive.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

mIEKAL aND wrote:
What ideas & options are there for harvesting as much rainwater as
possible off from a barn roof. Each side of the roof is approx 2000
sq feet so I'm thinking a traditional steel 4-6" gutter will actually
overflow pretty easily in a downpour & a lot of the water will go to
waste. Needs to be lightweight, easy to clean out & most of all super
affordable. I'm all ears.