permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:50:39 -0800 (PST)

For my part on an urban scale, I grow my veggies in about 1000 sq ft of
French intensive beds in my zone 1, surrounded by stacked perennial
polycultures in my zone 2 areas - the goumis, fruit trees, hazels, hardy
kiwis, almonds, etc.  Although the ecotone between zones is blurry in some
areas and maximized for edge.  I try not to devote large, continuous areas of
those intensive beds to any one crop, but there is definitely some simplicity
of layout and harvest in those areas compared to the outer zone.  And of
course more energy spent on compost teas, mulches, cover crops, and mineral
applications.

But I don't think that's un-permacultural.

-Chinese proverb