permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mathew Waehner <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:23:17 -0500

> If someone's main aim is simply high yield (with high inputs for high
> outputs), or simplicity, then they'll be disappointed with "hippie
> permaculture jungles,

My gardening experience is similar to Novella Carpenter's, and I too will be
moving away from the permaculture jungle approach for my vegetables. My
kitchen garden will be small and productive, and I will cede some space at
the margins as my goumi, pawpaws, and mulberries grow in.

Isn't this a good way to manage Zone 2? Would Novella Carpenter's
neighborhood be better served if her garden was less efficient and her
neighbors had to buy vegetables from grocery stores?