permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Homesteading forum

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Homesteading forum
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 13:16:00 -0500

Jacque Greenleaf wrote:
I've been reading Backwoods Home for years, at the library. Lots of good practical stuff, I just shrug off the stuff that raises my eyebrows.

BTW, the publishers are libertarian, not right-wing. Couple of years ago, they ran a several-issue series entitled "The Coming American Dictatorship" and the authors - including the editor/publisher - were clear that the dictatorship would come from the right.

If there is a difference of political agenda, RW or Lib that is hard to tell when you look at the content of the forums. Some posts there are as bad as it gets across the Web.

They would gain more visitors (and ad and subscription revenue) than they would lose by eliminating entirely all that insufferable political
ranting; that would be easy to do with stated policy and enforced OT rules, a quick solution, become apolitical, i.e. about homesteading
exclusively.

I bought backwoods home at the newsstand for a while and it was good, like a mother earth news clone but quit as soon as the political crap began to appear regularly, the signal to noise ratio dropped too far.

The same folks publish Backyard Poultry, a very good magazine.

No point in wasting two good magazines on people more interested in politics than surviving on a homestead.