permaculture - [permaculture] Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith D Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:14:42 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I've never heard that serviceberries fix nitrogen and maybe Ian was thinking
of Russian olive, specifically the cultivar goumi (Eleagnus multiflora),
which does. Plant serviceberries anyway, though. I ate them growing up in
Northern Mich when we went out with aunts, uncles, and cousins for almost
tribal annual gathering. They are under-appreciated, delicious fruits loaded
with antioxidants. We gathered many gallons this year from the mall(!), where
they had been planted as "ornamentals", and NOBODY but us recognized them as
edible (except, of course, the birds which greedily devoured them.)With many
cultivars to choose from they can be selected to produce for almost a month
and half instead of just for a week or so.

Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?
>Keith, in that one video you linked to me with Ian who lives near
>hamilton...He said that serviceberry Amelanchier alnifolia bushes fix
>nitrogen but I haven't come across any other source that verifies that. Was
>he mistaken or did serviceberry just become my favourite native plant?
>
>> Keith Johnson
>> "Be fruitful and mulch apply."
>> Permaculture Activist Magazine
>> PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
>> (812) 335-0383
>> - Permaculture Activist <http://www.permacultureactivist.net/>
>> - Permaculture Trading Post <http://www.permaculturetradingpost.com/>
>> - Patterns for Abundance Design & Consulting
>> <http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html>
>> - Permaculture & Regenerative Design News Blog
>> <http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/>
>> - Permaculture Politics Blog <http://permaculturepolitics.blogspot.com/>
>> - Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog
>> <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>
>> - Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
>> - The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
>> - Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center
>> <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
>> - Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative
>> <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
>> - Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog
>> <http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar
>> <http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>

  • [permaculture] Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?, Keith D Johnson, 12/27/2009