permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greetings (attempt #7) Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greetings (attempt #7) Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:33:17 -0800 (PST)

Travis, I can tell you that there are a few members of the Rosaceae family
that are N-fixing -- Cercocarpus, Purshia, Chamaebatia, even one species of
Rubus in Indonesia -- but not in the Amelanchier genus, to my knowledge.
More's the pity.

There are more I'm sure that have escaped our attention, and I wouldn't be
surprised if we see novel emergent properties in all aspects of Nature,
including nitrogen fixation in plant symbioses, as we crest the global energy
hill and enter descent.  (Emergent properties in humans not excluded!)

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb

--- On Sun, 12/27/09, Armed With A Mind Armed With A Mind