permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PDC in October or November

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marisha Auerbach <queenbee@herbnwisdom.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PDC in October or November
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:54:45 -0700

Greetings all - especially Katherine & Jonathan -
We will be offering a Permaculture Design Course in Western Oregon in
December at Lost Valley Education Center.
Below is the announcement.
Please help spread the word!
Marisha

> December 1 - 15, 2009
> Winter Permaculture Course at Lost Valley Education Center
> with Rick Valley, Jude Hobbs, and Marisha Auerbach
> Dexter, OR
>
> Lost Valley has hosted 2-week Permaculture Design Courses for 20 years.
The
> basis for the course is a traditional Permaculture Design Course
curriculum.
> This curriculum examines what it means for human living to integrate
> ethically, holistically, and dynamically into natural ecosystems. It
> introduces
> a philosophy, a set of practical principles and a design method, and a
range
> of
> techniques and tools. This curriculum serves as many students’
introduction
> to ecological systems thinking. The permaculture design curriculum
includes:

> * permaculture ethics, principles, & philosophy
> * reading the landscape
> * recognizing patterns
> * “waste” as resources
> * water on the land: catching, storing, and using rainwater
> * greywater
> * growing soil
> * natural building and retrofitting
> * renewable energy
> * appropriate technology
> * transportation and sustainability
> * ultra-local food—producing and harvesting it in our yards and
> communities
> * sustainable economics
> * “invisible structures” and social sustainability
> * rural, urban, and suburban applications
>
> The course uses a variety of formats, including lectures, discussions,
> hands-on activities, other projects, and field trips. Woven throughout the
> course is the permaculture design project, students’ opportunity to put
what
> they learn to use immediately by choosing a site at Lost Valley, getting
> know it well, and working with a team and with the community to design a
> permaculture system for the site in alignment with the community’s goals.
The
> design project is also students’ opportunity to have a lasting effect on
Lost
> Valley; the community has implemented a number of elements of student
design
> projects from over the years.
>
> Successful course participation, including completion of the permaculture
> design project, earns students a Permaculture Design Certificate.
>
> This covers tuition, eleven days of lodging, meals and PDC Certificate.
EDE

--
Herb'n Wisdom
Queen Bee Flower Essences

"...the greatest change we need to make is from consumption to
production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of
us do this, there is enough for everyone.

Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on
the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food
and shelter." - Bill Mollison