permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re, swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "sals3" <sals3@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re, swales
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:39:13 -0700

I live in santa barbara Ca. 7074 Casitas Pass Rd, Carpinteria, Santa Barbara, California 93013
. my problem is I planted my trees over 25 years ago and now I find that water in my biggest cost. I was wondering if i can put in swales after the trees have been planted. It would be a dream if I can cut down on elec. for the well. my guess would be in the winter when the ground is soft from rain I could hand dig swales uphill from a group of trees. I guess i don't understand swales that well but can u do a few trees at a time or even one tree at a time or a small line of trees.you think if the trees have been there 20 years or so on drip that roots will be deep enough to suck up water from a swales in Santa Barbara. Do we get enough rain?