permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [Permaculture International] *Sat Sept 26/Fundraiser Event for IPC9 in Africa/Scholarship fund for Ed Mendoza & African Attendees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Filiz Telek <filizatbaraka@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, worldjam2008@yesworld.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [Permaculture International] *Sat Sept 26/Fundraiser Event for IPC9 in Africa/Scholarship fund for Ed Mendoza & African Attendees
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 18:15:50 +0300

anyone in santa barbara?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe@silcom.com

Date: Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM
Subject: [Permaculture International] *Sat Sept 26/Fundraiser Event for IPC9
in Africa/Scholarship fund for Ed Mendoza & African Attendees
To: International Permaculture List <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>

Africa , where civilization got it's start...
54 countries, 1000 languages, 780 million people, incredible diversity of
cultures and environments...
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
*Fundraising Event
Saturday, September 26, 2009, 6:00 - 9:30pm
*Join us as we raise funds to bring Ed Mendoza, of Indigenous Permaculture
de Aztlan to
*the 9th International Permaculture Conference & Convergence (IPC9)*
* Food Donation $5, Sola House Courtyard, 312 E. Sola St, downtown Santa
Barbara, CA*

* ** A*frica is at a crossroads. It has the potential to help model
a pathway to sustainability for the rest of the world, but is also currently
undergoing the most rapid change and destruction of it's natural resources
and cultures.

In 2007 a group of dedicated African delegates arrived at the 8th
International Permaculture Convergence in Brazil, with the intention of
bringing the next Convergence to Africa. They made a successful bid, and
have been working tirelessly ever since to show the world what permaculture
can do for their countries and the world. With some of the original and
oldest permaculture centers in the world located in Africa, they have much
to share.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network non-profit is a part of the* official
Support Group for IPC9*. With your help we are sponsoring long
time*permaculture teacher and designer Ed Mendoza, founder of
Indigeneous
Permacultre de Aztlan* to attend the next IPC9 in Africa. We also hope to
raise additional funds for scholarships for Africans from cash poor, but
experience and skill rich regions to attend. Funds needed to bring Ed
Mendoza to IPC9 approximately $2500. Help us reach our goals with small or
large donations, all are appreciated!

Please join us for an evening of fun, music and food. If you want to
bring your favorite African dish, please do, a prize for the most unique &
authentic dish will be awarded. Also a prize for most beautiful African
sarong worn (men or women!). Drums and other musical instruments
encouraged. This is the "culture" in permaculture, our chance one more time,
through the International Permaculture Convergences, to learn about our
friends around the world, this time Africa.
*Donations may be made out to: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network 501 (c)
3, (designate Ed/IPC9) PO Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190. Donations are
tax deductible, and a receipt will be promptly provided with tax i.d.
information for your records.

Event Sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Sustainable World Radio,
Food Contributions by Manzanita*
*

*

*Eduardo (Ed) Mendoza* (Xikano-Nahuatl) is a farmer, poet, activist and
Director of Indigenous Permaculture de Aztlan. In 1993 he became an
agricultural advisor for the Traditional Native American Farmers Association
and started to train in Permaculture. He worked for the Gila River Indian
Community, establishing an aquaculture and farming program to teach young
juveniles about traditional crops. Ed helped establish the Casa Blanca
Growers Cooperative which grows mostly traditional organic crops. He
currently works on the Gila River Indian Reservation in Arizona promoting
the use and production of traditional crops and seed saving for future
generations. Formerly on the Board of Native Seed Search, he remains a
consultant working on dietary research related to Diabetes. He is a part of
the teaching team for Indigenous Permaculture (
www.indigenous-permaculture.com) with a yearly course in Santa Fe, NM. The
purpose of Indigenous Permaculture de Aztlan is to assist indigenous nations
learn the means to be economically self sufficient and to respect culture
and ceremony, to restore lands for future generations, with youth trained in
permaculture and other sustainability skills such as rainwater harvesting,
polycultures, aquaculture, and solar energy.

November 2009

* ** www.ipc9.org

*
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
* an educational non-profit since 2000
*(805) 962-2571
*P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
**margie@sbpermaculture.org
** www.sbpermaculture.org*
*"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order
to grow." - Anonymous*