permaculture - [permaculture] Mycorrhiza Matter!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, BPG <bloomington_permaculture_guild@lists.riseup.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Mycorrhiza Matter!
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 01:22:30 -0400

Mycorrhiza Matter!
How land management impacts these microbes and how they can impact the world when soil is living and breathing.

By Alison Grantham

(snip)

Never before has there been such a demand for answers to raising more food more sustainably with more understanding of the largely invisible microbial world underground.

The Rodale Institute is all about finding practical, accessible, biological solutions to some of the world's biggest problems, like climate change and famine. We've identified many ways that organic agriculture improves soil and builds resilience across varying conditions. One of the most amazing parts is our discovery that a beneficial type of soil fungus plays a major role in explaining the long-term positive changes that happen over a period of years in well-run organic systems.

Through working with a community of persistently curious scientists, we've found that arbuscular mycorrhiza (AM -- Greek for "tree-like fungus roots") may play a big part in building soil health and good soil structure that lead to greater agricultural productivity. By sharing how this discovery has unfolded in our work over several decades, I'll suggest how you can apply new insights to your soil that can help to improve our world.

More... <http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20090806/gw1>

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- Association for Regenerative Culture <http://www.arculture.org/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog <http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar <http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>
- Continental Bioregional Congress Blog <http://bioregional-congress.blogspot.com/>
- Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way <http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower>

  • [permaculture] Mycorrhiza Matter!, Keith Johnson, 09/04/2009