permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Road Kill: It's Fresh, It's Organic, It's Free

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: SMLA Esslinger <africasaskia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Road Kill: It's Fresh, It's Organic, It's Free
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

In Alaska we have a "roadkill list", which anyone can get on.  If someone
hits a moose or caribou or even has one die on their property, they are
required to notify the state troopers or Fish and Game.  Anything else would
be considered negligent waste of meat.  Whoever administers the list will
start calling down the list until they find someone who can go out and take
care of it right away.  When they do, that person gets to keep the meat or
give it to charity, and then they go to the bottom of the list.  It is really
important that the meat is still fresh when butchering roadkill.  The longer
a hide is left on an animal, the tougher the meat becomes from the heat of
the animal, and it will eventually spoil.
Saskia EsslingerAnchorage, Alaska