permaculture - Re: [permaculture] I Pwn You

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Suraj Kumar <suraj@sunson.in>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] I Pwn You
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:28:14 +0530

Unlike the US's democracy where you can "Talk to the congress", in
India, you have nobody to talk to. If at all there is a
representative, he is highly unreachable and he would be busy wielding
his powers to make corporate ties and his own businesses.

The System in India 'uses' nature, exploits it, exports it and in the
process allows a few ruling/wealthy elite to gain a lot out of it.
They tell us stories and many people believe them. In India, the
System exploits and discriminates based on caste so much so that
fundamental resources such as water and land get taken away from the
lower caste people. This somehow ends up continuing year after year
since the lower caste people keep voting for those politicians who
keep breaking their promises election after election.

So in essence, I've given up hope in The System.

Look away to the brighter side: The poor indian farmer has interacted
with nature quite a lot more than the disconnected "upper classes" of
the society. I'm certain he will turn to mother nature for his needs
if you just show him the way. He has already by now realized that this
oppression has to end - and it is possible to get there with Freedom
of Food. Lead by example and others will automatically follow. What
doesn't exist here but great sunshine, plenty of rainfall that can be
captured and reasonably fertile soils?

The only problem is, the TN govt has just passed a bill that in
essense says "Teach permaculture and you'll be behind bars". I'm quite
saddened by it - nevertheless, I believe, we can bring happiness by
bearing the brunt for a bit longer while we build permaculture forests
and gardens that will be free of borders.

If you remember, I'd started a thread earlier to ask why permaculture
seems more 'closed' than a movement that has a huge potential to move
ahead. I think I now know the answer - its simple - the wealthy west
is merely fighting peak oil and the other approaching challenges
because of it's own stupidities, but in India we'd have to fight
inside people's heads - freedom of thought comes with freedom of food.
The 'way' permaculture is being adopted in the west will look
radically different from how India would have to adopt given it's own
challenges and I guess I didn't 'relate' to the west's ways of doing
things earlier.

Rants aside, I have no doubts permaculture will be the sweet pill to
cure the ills of the people of this part of the world.

-Suraj