permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jeff Hine" <jhi@post.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:18:52 +0000

This is a good point Paul. There are many ways the message is being
spread. I have not attended a pdc but desperately want to. I had kids a
bit late and am in the throws of family life, and still trying to make a
living under the old system. I am implementing many changes in the
landscaping around my house as I have time, money, energy. I am
personally very grateful to all the avenues for education that I have
been given, primarily the internet. I have just recently purchased Toby
Hemenway's book Gaia's Garden. It is my first book even though I have
been chomping at the permaculture bit for a year and a half, and has been
very good for me because I am a novice. But before that I read some of
his essays posted online for free, that were very important, as well as
many others. There is a wealth of information and videos available if you
have an internet connection. If I had writing skills and permaculture
education and experience I would write books. Surely that is better for
the environment and society then my current employment. (Let's just say
my life seems like a guilt trip) As far as open source eduction, giving
it away for free, I think there is room for that as well. I think it
would be great to put together an open source permaculture manual that
was re-edited every few years, why not? Perhaps the original poster would
like to help head up something like that? I would be happy to help with
layout and organization/editing. I do believe that there is always the
seed of the solution embedded in the problem, but not everyone sees that
there is a problem here. If it is a problem for you then the onus is on
you. Humbly how I see it. -Jeff

paul wheaton wrote:

Now. Am I hearing Permaculturists saying : "Yeah, but I do not know what
the solution is ?" If so, I wonder why you keep calling yourself a
Permaculturist. It is hard for me to say that, but doesnt Permaculture
says "The Problem is the Solution" ?

I think things are perfectly lovely just the way they are. Many facets of
permaculture info are in a powerful growth mode. Free stuff and pay stuff.
Some folks are doing heaps of permaculture and not writing or doing
workshops - good for them! Lots of folks are doing heaps of permaculture
and pushing it out onto the web for lots of people to read - good for them!
Lots of folks are doing heaps of permaculture and teaching workshops and/or
writing books - good for them!

Lots of people are visiting farms, reading web pages, reading books and
attending workshops - good for them!

I'm having a hard time seeing that there is any problem in this space.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

  • Re: [permaculture] Why is permaculture more about selling books, DVDs and, Jeff Hine, 06/24/2009