permaculture - Re: [permaculture] they didnt end the Stone Age because they ran out of stones & Useful software for web users

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dion Puzon Jr <dionp@uniminds.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] they didnt end the Stone Age because they ran out of stones & Useful software for web users
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:54:53 -0600

Lawrence,

Good to talk with you my friend. I will help you with this project. Tell me what I can do. Let's talk soon old friend.

Dion

Dion Puzon Jr
CTO/Publisher

UniMinds Media
32647 US Hwy 14
Lone Rock, WI 53556

dionp@uniminds.com
www.uniminds.com
608.695.5857

=https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2008-December/032490.html
=[permaculture] they didnt end the Stone Age because they ran out of stones
=Nicholas Roberts nicholas at themediasociety.org
=Sat Dec 27 19:11:19 EST 2008

=below are some notes, on some big, long-term projects, that I am going
=to focus on over the next few years... ... I am especially focussing
=on where I perceive gaps in the permaculture community worldwide, the
=global problems that we face, and areas that I think I have expertise
=and interest

=2. Permaculture Cooperative - a global permaculture cooperative for
=all producers and workers doing permaculture.. Permaculture.TV will be
=a cooperative project.. and it seems that a unified marketing project
=for permaculturealists producers, educators, workers, designers; the
=entire spectrum of permaculture producers could greatly benefit from a
=global cooperative... start to compete against the global
=multinational corporations.. I had some inetrest from Sweden, NYC and
=San Francisco regarding this.. I would suggest that the main activites
=of the Permaculture cooperative be marketing *online via an ecommerce
=website*, the Permaculture.TV video website. Also education, activism,
=lobbying and research and development project streams be developed

=3. Permaculture Workers Cooperative - a workers coop that does
=permaculture farming and work of various kinds... decentralised urban
=farming, permablitzes/permabees, permaculture maintainence etc ...
=this is Tom's social and economic justice permaculture

All of the above. I support this & will help any way I can.

=5. Permaculture Design Tools - there have been a number of requests on
=the email lists *especially from the US for a computer based design
=tool for permaculture farmers, designers, educators etc... I see this
=as a software application like an existing computer-based farm design
=tool, that is open sourced, and perhaps is linked and/or creates a web
=database - perhaps like a wikipedia system - that contains data on
=tools, species, landforms, market data, polucultures etc...

I am working on an implementation of MediaWiki, Wordpress & BBPress
on ibiblio which we can use for this any way needed.

Subject:video codecs, video viewers, video converters, video downloaders (Firefox & DH add-on)
From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr."

=Go to _www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm_
=(http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm)
=Then follow instructions to download the version you need -- I downloaded
=4.4.5 Full at the bottom of the list on this page which lets you view a lot of
=different media, although 4.4.5 Standard opens MP-4 and is apparently all you
=need for that.
=Marlene Halverson

Codec source combined with viewer and converter downloads is
the reliable Free Codecs.Com: http://www.free-codecs.com/

Using RSS Video you can access all the TED videos.
I recommend RSS Owl as a RSS reader/client
http://feeds.feedburner.com/tedtalks_video
Select a video then bring down the reader options in the dialog box and
pick RSS Owl (install RSS Owl first so that will appear as a selection).
Reading the TED RSS feed in RSS Owl will update you on all new TED talks;
you go directly to TED to view your selection picked from the archive
presented in OWL.

Use the latest Firefox browser then install Download Helper as an add-on
to enable direct download of video and pictures from many sites,
YouTube included. Videos from the TED website are not but TED's on YouTube are.
Version 3.5.1 may be the latest. They are downloads using YouTube's file format, .flv
and perhaps others. Files are saved to user-selectable location then viewed later with
any of several programs: freeware/shareware for audio/video I like are:
My favorite: GOM Player (Excellent, frequest upgrades), my second favorite (best for DVD viewing), mplayerc.exe, Media
Player Classic from: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm , WinAmp, VNView explorer-like hard
drive browser utility, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, nvplayer and many others.