permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Planting Christmas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Margaret & Steven Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "'permacultue discussion list'" <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Planting Christmas
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:30:03 -0500

Hello all,

I thoroughly support buying local and buying live. I would like to add a
word of caution/ a la pre-planning when buying live/potted trees, and this
is for us who live in the northern climes like we do in the Adirondacks.

Just last weekend we set out to buy our annual Christmas tree. Had the
great idea of buying a small/potted tree, seeing as we live on 45 acres in
the North Country and buying 1-tree could therefore supply us 2-years,
technically.

When I spoke to our nursery, they told us that any live tree, in these
climes, must ONLY be inside for 10 days, then it must be put immediately
into a pre-dug hole, seeing as we've already had several hard frosts and 10
inches of snow and then heavily mulched.

Well, needless to say, I had to nix the idea seeing as I had NOT done any of
the pre-planning. So, I did buy a locally harvested Vermont tree. And,
next year, I have to mark into my gardening a calendar a day to pre-dig my
Christmas tree hole, so that I'll be prepared come December.

Happy Holidays to all.

MR.E.