permaculture - [permaculture] Independent Freeholds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Brent McMillan <brent@gp.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Independent Freeholds
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 17:51:57 -0500

Dear fellow Permies:

Over the holiday break I read Kunstler's book, "The Long Emergency." In the seventh, and final chapter, 'Living in the Long Emergency' he states, "If the process of reorganizing agriculture in America were to work favorably--especially in the form of independent freeholds--it could have many benefits."

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an 'independent freehold'?

Where can I learn more about them? What are their strengths and weaknesses as an organizing structure?

Sincerely:

Brent McMillan, Steward of Wood Haven
Avilla, Indiana, USA