permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture.TV and Permaculture.coop

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Nicholas Roberts" <nicholas@themediasociety.org>
  • To: "permacultue discussion list" <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture.TV and Permaculture.coop
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:14:50 +1100

hi all

thanks for the kind words of encouragement etc regarding Permaculture.TV

I am totally committed to Permaculture.TV and to a permaculture cooperative
model - personally, I just need a break..

coincidentally I just emailed Tagari about possibly using the
permaculture.coop domain (which is trust with Tagari after I registered it
last year) and place Permaculture.TV and other projects within it ...

I have had the idea of a permaculture workers cooperative, perhaps a
permaculture garden maintenance (& training?) business... a kind of
long-running permablitz or permabee business, focussed on social and
economic justice.. i.e. poor and needy neighborhoods... I thought this was
completely idealistic until I saw the http://MyFarmSF.com project in San
Francisco and also the Green Worker Coop in NYC (
http://www.greenworker.coop/)
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=EUZWczgZacQ
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ljlQ3x0kY
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=qKh2smneytM

as an aside, MyFarmSF.com isn't on Permaculture.TV because the producer of
the documentary (not the owner of the social enterprise) refused permission
because the platform couldn't provide enough links back to his site... the
owner of the business actually asked me to put the video on the site, I did,
and then the producer denied me so I deleted it

in 2009 I want to form a group of advisers - along with the email lists - to
help me form the Permaculture Cooperative project - to organise legal,
economic, gardening, media and other aspects of the project

I am going to make every effort to make this a global cooperative, with
branches in the Hunter, Sydney and also San Francisco and New York City...
we cant simply retreat into localisation, we need a people's globalisation,
we need global cooperatives and other forms of social economy... no doubt
this will be shakey and an experiment... but it needs to be tried and
developed.. we need a NEw Sustainability Paradigm, that goes beyond Market
Forces or Policy Reform... something more than EcoCommunalism

I see permaculture as a the missing element in the Great Transition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Transition

I need to raise some seed-money and find an auspicing body (Permaculture
Hunter is one strong possibility) so we can do a proper plan and budget for
these projects..

It would be great to be able to actually pay permaculture cooperative
workers a living wage - me included - and maybe that involves becoming a
branch or project of an existing work-for-the-dole provider or some other
kind of non-profit, educational or social justice organisation

regarding cooperation, the obvious answer is that we do cooperate all the
time, its the only thing that stops society, the economy etc from completely
breaking-down into a dog-eat-dog world. despite the last 30 years of
economic rationalisation, neo-liberalism and privatisation, people still
naturally are cooperative.. and learning that again, is part of the process

I dont think a cooperative model need destroy individual or business
livelihoods, CoopAmerica (http://coopamerica.org) is a good model of a
hybrid coop that supports individuals, businesses, organisations... it is at
a stage where it is only 10% gerant funded, the rest comes from enterprise
... i,e Green Festivals etc (http://www.greenfestivals.org/) which is a
joint project of Co-America and Global Exchange

Global Exchange is a good model for a people's globalisation (
http://globalexchange.org) - and considering the global nature of
permaculture, and the realities of a multi-polar world, and the absolute
need for global economic democracy and sustainability - I think there are
lots of lessons to learn from this and embed in the global permaculture
cooperative

Regarding the business model behind Permaculture TV (and other permaculture
media)... I want it to be ad free, free-to-watch and member supported.. I
think there is a possibility for selling products via some kind of online
shop, and also a subscription service for high-quality DVDs.. perhaps doing
deals with copyright holders on classics like Global Gardener (god bless the
rent seekers)

i think we are entering a period in world history, where we need real
information, not advertising or public relations... and thats why I am
committed to the non-profit, educational, free-to-watch, ad-free,
member-supported, no corporate or government funding model
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmuG9EyQdw

growing-up on a small chook(chicken) farm on the edge of Newcastle, I
discovered permaculture in the early 90s (maybe earlier) and did my PC
course at Melany with Max and Francis Lang , after doing some gardening
experiments and wwoofing, I got drawn into the emerging internet and then
news and media. . I'd like to close the loop and do that by doing
Permaculture TV, the Permaculture Coop and merging community news, media and
permaculture.. no doubt it will take years, but I think it was suprisingly
easy to show how quickly one person - alone - could build a decent online
version of Permaculture.TV

I apologise if my emails are mercurial,but personally, I've been living poor
and precarious for all of this year (the last few years actually) and need
to rest and rethink and get some personal permaculture

--
Nicholas Roberts
[im] skype:niccolor