permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Philosophy of Science

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Dick Pierce" <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Philosophy of Science
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 09:07:54 -0600

Deep Ecology! A spot on idea and reference. The *Absence of the Sacred* by
Jerry Mander comes immediately to mind as a classic and a good read for
those with strong stomachs for what modern science and technology have done
to the Earth and its Indigenous peoples - kind of a *Guns, Germs, and
Steel*but written with an outsiders view of our Western culture, not
the
rationalizations by the victors (but, Earth will abide!).

Reminds me of two personal favorites - both quite old and very interesting
perspectives. The 1st is *Earth Abides*, written in the 50's?, a novel about
an international virus [almost] wiping out the human population when a
trans-Atlantic Lockheed Electra introduces a deadly, new virus to the US -
life continues but civilization/culture/knowledge/education starts over from
zero with the few lone survivors. The other is the classic by Barry
Commoner, *The Closing Circle*. He writes at the beginning of the post-war
technology/good life-for-the-privileged boom - he notices that all does not
seem perfect in "Pleasantville" (a inciteful movie on the subject) and has
remarkable insight into the causes of some growing difficulties and some
real wisdom from the beginning of the "ascent economy" that might be of use
in David Holmgren's "descent economy" that lies ahead for most of us.

Best to all

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:01 PM, <yarrow@sfo.com> wrote:

> At 2:10 PM -0700 10/30/08, jason brown wrote:
> >I am currently doing a masters degree in forestry. While the
> >material is amazing and I am learning a lot. There has been a
> >consistant mechanistic world view expressed and assumed. I am
> >working on a paper analysis for the class and would like to include
> >a critique of the mechanistic world view.
> >

> Books on "deep ecology" directly address the weaknesses of the
> mechanistic world view. Arne Naess wrote some papers on it a couple
> decades ago.
>
> One of the most entertaining philosophy of science books I've read is
> Paul Feyerabend, Against Method. He discusses the scientific method
> as one of the possible approaches to describing the world, rather
> than the only method. (Maybe shoulda been titled Against Dogma.)

> Google command to search archives:

DickPierceDesigns@gmail.com
SE-NE (summer) & Austin, TX (winter) cell- 512-992-8858

Please check out www.permie.us for courses:

Now -Permaculture Design - Austin, TX
Jan. 10, 17 -Citizen Gardener - Austin
mid-April -2-day PC Basics - Boston
late-April -2-day PC Basics - Martha's Vineyard, MA
mid-July -12-day PC Design Course - S-NH
mid- Sept -2-day PC Basics - MV-MA
mid-Sept -12-day PC Design Course - MV-MA

-Dick's PC-Bio. on www.permie.us
-You Tube Dick Pierce for video clips