permaculture - [permaculture] personal access to land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] personal access to land
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:08:29 -0700 (PDT)

As a food forester who advocates planting trees and has lived in various
communities, I can vouch for the necessity of personal access to land in
order to create sustainable systems, for multiple reasons.  Though I have
personally created food forests on land I did not have permanent access to,
it has been pretty futile to get others to plant trees on land they don't
own.  Renters generally don't want to invest in land that they might not
always live on, or that might be taken away, even if they have been there for
25 years.  And the food forests that I created were destroyed or neglected,
anyway, once I left.  Annuals definitely have some advantages for people that
don't have permanent access to land.  Perennial systems require a long-term
view, and are often of a complexity that requires intimate, long-term
relationships.  People are most likely to devote their energies to land when
they feel they have permission to, and when they know they will
be around to benefit from their work.  In addition, it is often hard to meld
the different strategies of different managers.  As is many things, a project
often thrives best when one person is mainly responsible for it.

Maybe my opinion is too heavily shaped by living in a capitalist,
individualist culture where even the nuclear family is almost a thing of the
past.  I would love to know more about the food forest ownership and
management styles of other cultures (such as in Kenya, Kerala, Java, etc),
but we should at least be realistic about what currently works in our own
culture.  I have seen way too many idealistic projects fail because of the
above.

Rain