permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Sust Ag standard moves into high gear]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Sust Ag standard moves into high gear]
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:51:08 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:43:38 +0100
From: Kathryn Marsh <kmarsh@IOL.IE>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

And just in case it hasn't leaked to all of you yet you might like to
be aware that the Soil Association will shortly announce some sort of
self-certification system for small producers so they can explain
what they are doing without using the legally defined O word.
Details, including what they are going to call it, haven't been
ironed out yet.

A friend and I combed through lapsed certifications in Ireland
recently and added up over 380 small producers who we know are still
growing, and to "better than organic" standards but are no longer
certified because of the paperwork, and because they are selling
locally to people who know exactly how they are growing. One of the
group is one this list :-)

kathryn