permaculture - Re: [permaculture] vegetable growing on second level

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Richter <payupalice@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] vegetable growing on second level
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:05:02 +0000

Hi Trudy

I'm trying to get a mental picture of what you're thinking of... I think your
idea of the muslin for shading is a good one (I'm also an Austinite), and I
recently used shredded newspaper to mulch a plant that needed to hold water
in the soil better.
Have you thought about sort of putting the platform up like shelves - braced
from the bottom with some of the fence scraps?
Also, vining veggies (like cucumber) might be a good option, some trellising
could support some of the weight, and they would need less overall space
Jenn