permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Conserving water in ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jay Woods <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Conserving water in ponds
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:03:38 -0500

A concept that I've used in the past is an artificially perched water table.
An example was to build a dam in a hard rock canyon with a dirt floor that
only came a few inches above the soil surface. Well water from behind the dam
was used for irrigation on the higher slopes as well as house water. The dam
was slowly heightened to trap any soil that was washed down the canyon during
storms. With this approach there was very little free water surface to
evaporate and that only in the spring when the evaporation rate was slow.