permaculture - [permaculture] Syracuse, NY, Palace Theater, June 28 - EcoSutra Film - World Premiere

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Burns <michael@fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Syracuse, NY, Palace Theater, June 28 - EcoSutra Film - World Premiere
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:32:48 -0400

Syracuse, NY, Palace Theater, June 28 - EcoSutra Film - World Premiere

A film about sustainability..
For Immediate Release: June 16th 2008
Kristina Fitzsimmons
kristinafitzsimmons@gmail.com
cell: 310 779 0179

The EcoSutra Film World Premiere

Syracuse, NY - Saturday, June 28 from 6 – 11pm at The Palace Theater, 2384 James St. Admission: Sliding scale: $0 to $10.

6:00 Doors open
6:45 Film begins with an introduction by Russel Berns, producer.
8 - 9:00 Presentations from local leaders followed by Q & A.
9 - 11:00 Live music by Rebecca Keefe Fitzsimmons, time for networking and cash bar.

The 'EcoSutra' film takes us on a global quest for the solutions to the challenges of our time (http://www.ecosutra.tv/trailer). We visit revolutionaries from all walks of life and travel across the globe to explore the ingredients of sustainable communities and the worldwide eco-movement. This documentary introduces us to the practices of permaculture, a design science that mimics natural cycles to maximize productivity.

Permaculture teaches us that the efficient processes of an ecosystem can be applied to human communities as well, and that Nature is by far our greatest teacher. Discover the power of permaculture to produce a strong economy and a healthy environment.

The film highlights valuable alternatives to our current infrastructure and lifestyles, including profitable renewable energy technologies ready and waiting for wide scale implementation. Other chapters of the film explore the rapidly growing green building movement, and remind us of efficient agricultural practices that were second nature to our local farmers thirty years ago.

"The world is facing an unprecedented crisis, in environment and in energy supply. This is the largest challenge humanity has ever faced. We have to focus our resources, both financial and intellectual, upon this with the intensity of a military conflict, or a moon shot, or a Manhattan project." Steve Strong, President, Solar Design Associates of Harvard, Installed the first solar panels on The White House and is interviewed in the film.

Another expert, Eric Daniles, VP, Technology and Product Development, British Petroleum Solar, said "…It could well be that all of a sudden your home has a solar array on top that produces hydrogen for your automobile, or some fuel cell in your home during the day when your car is not there. If your car is there it charges up your car battery. When you start to integrate these things in a brand new way it really opens up a lot of opportunity, you think about it all differently."

This is a very unique premiere. We are gathering not only to watch a great film, but also to network within the community and create positive synergy towards sustainable community developments. Following the film, local leaders will discuss practical solutions for moving Syracuse in a more sustainable direction.

Greening USA presents their Syracuse Sustainability Academy, a hands- on, community-based workshop series designed to empower the general public with knowledge of the green movement. Representatives of The Alchemical Nursery Project, the Organic Valley family, and of local farm bureaus, as well as local pioneers in the development of renewable energy technologies, will join our discussion.

The premiere will also feature a special performance by Rebecca Keefe Fitzsimmons, a local singer-songwriter whose angelic voice has long been a staple of the Syracuse music scene. Rebecca was featured on the The New York State Rhythm and Blues Fest CD compilation "Women 'N Blues", and was the very first performer at the famous and now defunct Happy Endings Coffeehouse.

Recently, her song "Invitation to the Dance" was recorded by international jazz artist Emily Saxe, who performed it as part of the Jazz at Lincoln Center series in New York this past April.

Russell Berns, the founder and director of EcoSutra, is the son of legendary song-writer Bert Berns (who was responsible for hits like Twist and Shout', 'Under The Boardwalk', 'Brown Eyed Girl', 'Piece Of My Heart', 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love', among others) and is a founder of BANG Records. Russell grew up in the music publishing industry, and has freelanced in music and video production. He filmed, directed, produced, and composed music for the EcoSutra film, all of which was funded by his family's legacy.

This is his first full-length documentary release, which showcases more than two years of his research meeting with top permaculture scientists and environmental companies in Asia, Africa, Europe, Israel and North America.

Originally from Atlanta, Berns now lives in Los Angeles.

For more information go to: http://www.ecosutra.tv/trailer/
To learn more about (local) permaculture go to: http:// www.fingerlakespermaculture.org

**EcoSutra is an organization dedicated to building the resources for people to network into new models of environmentally and economically sustainable villages. By bridging renewable energy technology to permaculture - an environmental design science that mimics naturally occurring ecosystems and accelerates the earth's natural regenerative processes, we can create sustainable healthy communities to live, work and play. Through our events and media projects we look to propel the green movement and provide the public with the knowledge and networking tools to achieve success and implementation.

Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers affordable local classes.
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org

  • [permaculture] Syracuse, NY, Palace Theater, June 28 - EcoSutra Film - World Premiere, Michael Burns, 06/19/2008