permaculture - Re: [permaculture] beehive in my compost pile

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gary Bennett" <beancounterz@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] beehive in my compost pile
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:39:00 +1000

On 6/20/08, Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some bee's and a hive in one of my compost piles which I found a
> few days ago when getting some mulch to spread. The hives are just
> below the surface, the individual cells are ovoid with an entrance on
> the top end. The bee's started to spiral out from the hive yesterday
> when I tried to dig from the opposite end of the pile with a couple of
> them following me out from my compost area. I have other piles to use
> so its not critical that I get at this pile. Should I leave them alone?
> Will this be a problem that can get out of hand? They look cool and I
> like observing them. They come out like hidden commandos from the pile
> and then return and cover themselves up again when they return. there
> are a few entrance holes to the hive as well.
>
> should I be concerned about this? Are there any sites where I can learn
> a bit more of this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul
> southern Illinois

Paul,

Here are a couple of beekeeping resources and forums:
http://beemaster.com/ and http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php.

Is it feasible for you to get hold of a hive and have a beekeeper
transfer the bees to it? Alternatively you may prefer to have a
beekeeper take the swarm away.

Regards, Gary