permaculture - [permaculture] testing soil for toxins

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Calliope Star <calliope_star111@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] testing soil for toxins
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:52:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I'm working with some other gardening activists here in Portland, OR to plant
some food producing gardens in urban areas where there is now nothing or
something not edible growing. We have our eye on some sidewalk median spaces
which has got us thinking about the soil potentially having toxins. I read
somewhere (Toby?) that this is usually the case in cities.
Does anyone know of soil test kits that will test for heavy metals,
petroleum, etc? Or does this sort of thing have to be sent to a lab? If so,
does anyone know of labs that would work with us on this without the cost of
this testing becoming the challenge that makes these new garden spaces not
feasible?
Thank you,
Calliope

If you want to read the mystic story written in your future
You better start to write it now...

~Gaia Consort~