permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] LA Times/ starving the poor]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] LA Times/ starving the poor]
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:39:51 -0700

World Food Program Issues ‘Emergency Appeal’ For Funds
. . . the WFP may be forced to cut food rations “for those who rely on the world
to stand by them during times of abject need."
”“We’ve never quite had a situation where aggressive rises in food prices
keep pricing operations out of our reach,” Sheeran said.

The WFP has issued emergency appeals in the past for natural disasters or
wars, but never for a market-generated crisis, she said.
But the neocons told me the free market was the answer, not the problem! We can thank the Green Revolution. When you use oil to create food to breed a couple billion extra mouths, the bill's going to come due some day.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com