permaculture - [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Europe | Sarkozy threat to Olympic opening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Europe | Sarkozy threat to Olympic opening
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:19:36 -0400

Three cheers for Sarkozy!!

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7312815.stm>
Last Updated: Tuesday, 25 March 2008, 16:03 GMT
Sarkozy threat to Olympic opening

Nicolas Sarkozy in Tarbes, south-west France, 25 March
Mr Sarkozy again called for China to talk to the Dalai Lama

Sarkozy's call
French President Nicolas Sarkozy says he has not ruled out boycotting the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in China over the situation in Tibet.

His aides said France was still opposed to a full boycott but that it might pull out of the opening ceremony in Beijing on 8 August.

The recent unrest in Tibet has sparked worldwide concern.

Olympics chief Jacques Rogge said last week he was "heartened" that no major
government had backed a boycott.

On Tuesday, the White House said US President George W Bush still planned to attend the opening of the Games, while the UK said Prime Minister Gordon Brown would still be going to the closing ceremony.

Meeting request

When asked about a possible boycott on a visit to the south-western Pyrenees region, Mr Sarkozy said: "All options are open and I appeal to the Chinese leaders' sense of responsibility."

He added: "I want a dialogue to start and I will step up my response according to the response given by the Chinese authorities."

Protesters in Olympia, Greece, 24 March
Activists disrupted the Olympic torch lighting ceremony in Greece

France's state TV network said it might boycott coverage of the Games if
Beijing censored protests during the event.

In Washington, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said: "Our position remains that we believe that the purpose of the Olympics is to let international athletes come together and showcase their talents."

France and other Western nations have urged Beijing to enter into a dialogue with the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.

China says 19 people were killed by rioters and accuses the Dalai Lama of
inciting the violence.

The Tibetan government-in-exile says at least 130 people have died in a crackdown by Chinese troops and deny any role in the protests.

Robert Menard, the director of the media rights group Reporters Without Borders, said he had asked Mr Sarkozy for a meeting where he will press for a boycott of the opening ceremony, though not a boycott of sports events.

On Monday, pro-Tibetan activists disrupted the Olympic torch lighting
ceremony in Greece.

Campaigners broke through police lines and unfurled a Tibetan flag before
being dragged away.

In his speech during the ceremony, Mr Rogge said the Olympic torch relay and the Games should take place in a peaceful environment.

On Tuesday, the Chinese foreign ministry said any attempt to disrupt the
torch relay for the Olympic Games was shameful.

TENSION IN TIBET

KEY STORIES

Olympic torch lit despite protest
US lawmaker demands an inquiry
China intensifies crackdown
Dalai Lama urges dialogue

FEATURES AND ANALYSIS

Chinese paramilitary police in Zhongdian, Yunnan province Clamping down
Tibetan monk speaks out on round-up of protesters as unrest spreads

Tibetan monks: A controlled life
China's quandary
Dalai Lama's home off-limits
Tibet's unsettled borders

VIDEO REPORTS
Flag being held by protester Protests on day Olympic torch was lit
listen Jailed protester
watch Dalai Lama
watch Wen Jiabao

BACKGROUND

Key places and events
Guide: Inside Tibet
Q&A: China and Tibet
Profile: The Dalai Lama

EYEWITNESS

Tibetans describe unrest
Chinese react to violence
Lhasa now 'in cinders'
Monk 'kicked to the floor'

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Beijing 2008
International Olympic Committee
Reporters Without Borders
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP EUROPE STORIES
Sarkozy threat to Olympic opening

  • [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Europe | Sarkozy threat to Olympic opening, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/25/2008