permaculture - Re: [permaculture] oops - Cabbage Maggots cont'd

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] oops - Cabbage Maggots cont'd
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:49:45 -0700 (PDT)

That sounds like an interesting experiment.

I grow my cabbages as transplants in a peat-based substrate in seed boxes.
The cabbage moths like to lay their eggs into the loose substrate. This
used
to result in losses of 50 or more percent. Now I submerge the lower part of
the
transplants for a couple of hours in a bucket full of water before
planting. This
kills the maggots and has reduced the losses to zero.

If you have loose and crumbly soil around your young cabbage plants, this
may
well be the reason for the problem. The solution could be to mulch heavily
or to
paste some wet clay onto the soil around the plants to deter the moths from
laying their eggs.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

Tracy Dee Cook <tracydeecook@yahoo.com> wrote:
oops - meant to save that last email as a draft email and accidently sent
it - arg

short story is I planted the cabbage by a knee high allium and the cabbage
closest to the allium kept the cabbage moths at bay. the cabbage I had
planted near to the oregono plant still attracted a moth

might be a stretch for your rhutbagas - but I intercropping showed good
results at my place

Also, This resource guide might be helpful for this question or others
similar,
IPM Integrated Pest Management http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/

Includes bug pictures and info

Take care and let us know how it goes!
Tracy
Tracy Dee Cook wrote: Hi, Andrew - I'm here in Minnesota too.

I tried an experiment last summer and had interesting /good results

I planted 3 cabbage just to see if the cabbage moths would come

Andrew French wrote: Does anybody have any experience with controlling
cabbage maggots? I want to
grow Rutabagas in MN in zone 3b and evidently they are a problem there. I've
read that ladybeetles may help.

Andrew French
Google command to search archives: