permaculture - Re: [permaculture] racism 101 for white american permies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Felicity Wright" <flickwright@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] racism 101 for white american permies
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:04:35 +1030

I didn't catch the beginning of this thread but the last two contributions caught my attention. Hmmmm... somebody's not listening (or reading or absorbing or reflecting)..Would it happen to be a white guy?

Rafter, you're contribution was great. Fantastic stuff! I wrestle with the issues of racism every day, within myself and within my friendships and work. I am white. I have lived and worked with Indigenous Australians for more than 20 years (who actually had a pretty good handle on living with their environment for few thousand years and actually didn't need permaculture until white colonists came along in 1788).... I must remember to ask them whether they think 'racism is essentially irrelevant at this point and it's only about the dichotomies of class, economy, and environment'.

I can't help myself wading in to the list when yet another (white) person tries to peddle the idea that - extrapolating from their experience of the world - racism is not an issue.

I found your dot points really useful and will use them. Thank you. Am always looking at tools that will help me understand things better and also to be used to explain challenging concepts. I am committed to advocating to make this a saner, fairer, more tolerant community of people on this planet - hmmm.. 'care of people' sounds familiar and kind of catchy....

flick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harmon Seaver" <hseaver@gmail.com>