permaculture - [permaculture] Scheduled recognition of forest rights Act, 2006 in India

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "ossi" <ossi@kulma.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Scheduled recognition of forest rights Act, 2006 in India
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:20:24 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

This message is especially for all permaculturalists
who are involved in projects with tribal people.
Please follow up the process.

:) ossi kakko (from fennoscandia)

-->

The Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, P R Kyndiah has talked following in
an interview on 7.1.2008 about his travails in pursuing the Scheduled
Tribes and other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest
Rights) Act, 2006 in India:

"These organisations from different corners of the world said that the
Indian Act for the rights of tribals was a landmark law that needed to be
accepted as a model piece of legislation across the world for indigenous
people. Being a tribal myself, I feel that the Act has underlined two key
points. One, it has recognised the fundamental right of the tribal people
to live with dignity, and two, it has accepted the fact that tribal people
are conservationists and not destroyers of wildlife and forests. Today, we
have scientific evidence to prove that the tribals are best preservers of
the forests."

"I must admit that implementing this Act is not going to be an easy task.
We have no precedents in this case to fall on since it is a pioneering
legislation in the entire world...
... the Act has awakened a sleeping giant in the 80 million Indian tribals.
It has awakened them towards their rights ...
But, yes, my real fear and worry remains about the fraudulent claims which
could be made by the outsiders to claim the forest land. The encroachers
are clever and can manipulate evidence to stake claim to grab the land.
This could even deprive the tribals of their rightful share of land. This
is my serious worry."

source:
http://www.business-standard.com/opinionanalysis/storypage.php?tab=r&autono=309774&subLeft=2&leftnm=4

background:

http://www.hindu.com/2007/12/27/stories/2007122757122000.htm

  • [permaculture] Scheduled recognition of forest rights Act, 2006 in India, ossi, 01/07/2008