permaculture - Re: [permaculture] making charcoal cheaply at home?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] making charcoal cheaply at home?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:27:29 -0500

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:46:15 -0400, you wrote:

>>Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com :
>>Fri Nov 2 09:35:47 EST 2007
>

>>You'd be emitting an awful lot of very dangerous, very bad pollutants:
>>dangerous to anyone in your immediate neighborhood, including you and your
>>family, of course, and dangerous to the world in general.
>

>thanks pat,
>
>i certainly appreciate the issue, and your concern
>
>perhaps i wasn't very clear, as i think you might have missed
>something in my proposal, and it was to make an effort to burn the
>off gasses and cold smoke from the main stove by routing it through
>the intake of another very small stove that contained a small fire.
>i feel like with some concientious draft management, one might be
>able to combust a lot of what was coming off the hot (anaerobic?)
>coals below

I did see it, Kevin. I'm very dubious about the ability of that idea to
get rid of most of the pollutants because...

There's lot of reason for manufacturers of Outdoor Wood Furnaces (which are
being banned all over the place now, including the entire State of
Washington) to add a feature such as this to their OWFs. Otherwise, their
business is going to go pretty much go down the tubes.

Because they haven't done so, I am assuming that it is not easily
accomplished. And they have money to spend on research and testing, etc. -
in other words, they have resources that you probably don't have. And yet
they haven't done it.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania