permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mis-sent/PDC integrity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mis-sent/PDC integrity
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:28:09 -0700

The policy I was taught, and adhere to, is that if circumstances (more than a hangover or oversleeping) force someone to miss one module (1-3 hours of class), we can work out some kind of make-up study. Some modules are very hard to make up, so missing any of it means a fair chunk of knowledge is missing. If someone misses much more than one module, they need to repeat that portion of the course at a later date. I have withheld certificates for skipping multiple classes and for failing to complete the portion of the design project that the person was responsible for. I try to be flexible since I know that life does intervene sometimes, but a PDC makes few demands on participants other than to show up, and do the design project. So if someone can't manage to make that commitment, I don't think they can be too serious about permaculture. Seems to me that Pc has few enough standards, so it makes sense to adhere to the few we've got.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

L. Santoyo Designs wrote:
Sean, Claudia et al -

I think that everyone is in agreement about wanting to preserve the integrity of a Permaculture Design Certificate Course. (Of course -a person that misses classes, design work, etc -wouldn't be eligible for a certificate of completion -why would they?)

"Teachers in the region had their own agendas and their own courses competing for students..." "Did people skip days and still get a certificate? "
"...I see this as a flaw in the modular format."

These additional questions, comments and concerns -work to support the need for continuing training, constant contact with a qualified mentor and support the 2 year apprenticeship requirements that are invaluable for maintaining the highest standards and in creating highly experienced Instructors and Designers -everywhere.

As a small example: The first modular courses were taught over 15 years ago! -lot's of the issues raised now are the same issues that, since these first courses, have been addressed and solved in many, many creative ways... (finding that out, in advance, is what a Mentor is for!)

I'm not against reinventing the wheel -but at least the wheel is a good point of departure...

Larry Santoyo
http://www.earthflow.com/