permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mis-sent

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mis-sent
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:22:23 -0700 (PDT)

Just to be clear on the tears shed at the Inwood Nature Center in Manhattan,
... they were tears of joy. It took over a year and a half of planning,
false starts, and much failure. Class locations pulled out on us at the last
moment. Teachers in the region had their own agendas and their own courses
competing for students. Luckily we were able to saturate both PDC classes
here in Manhattan, despite the false start of not enough students for
competing classes last October.

We offered a course for $300 (sliding scale) in Manhattan. The class space
was free; 200 acres of old growth and last salt marsh in Manhattan. The
location was not entirely friendly, though, as key individuals no longer
worked at the Nature Center by the time the class began. The teachers, whom
we were able to pay, stayed at an organizer's apartment for these six
weekends.

The presentations shamed the presentations of the two week PDC I attended.
As far as we understand, this was the first PDC in Manhattan.

Even further, we have individuals out in NYC looking for places to learn yet
more. I have some meeting in Inwood that attended this class. Others from
the class have been meeting in Brooklyn.

We should be applauding such heroic efforts. Thank you to Ethan and to
others for your involvement. We are sure to have other classes for those who
would like to be involved.

It is our hopes to find a way of including students who earn exploitative
wages in proximity to Wall Street costs of living (Bronx per capita income in
1999 was at the bottom of all counties in NY state; gentrification has been
altering the situation of late).

-Sean.
Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net> wrote: Apologies to the list for
sending a personal note to all. I think I
know the answer to those issues of credibility in PDCs.
There will always be differences in the courses and in how
individuals absorb the material.
It is a beginning point, not an end.

Thanks, Ethan for letting me know I broadcast my personal fears to
the whole list.
I do worry about the reputation of permaculture - but perhaps I
shouldn't waste my energy there.

I do still have to deal with the issue of folks who are absent for
part of the course.

- Claudia
NYC