permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A moment of silence for these good folks: BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Burmese monks 'to be sent away'

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Healing Hawk" <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A moment of silence for these good folks: BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Burmese monks 'to be sent away'
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 03:45:59 -0500

This is not such a radical contrast to the US, where we have a junta in
power who have eviscerated the Constitution, perpetrated unprecedented
surveillance on US citizens, waged two illegal wars under international law
and seek yet another, against Iran, and have caused the deaths of more than
four thousand US citizens who had the lack of foresight to be in the
military when this junta seized power in the 2000 coup in Florida by the
Supremes. Read "The Mega-Lie Called the 'War on Terror': A Masterpiece of
Propaganda" by Richard W. Behan, at www.alternet.org/waroniraq/63632 if you
want the history chapter and verse. We gave the Democrats control of
Congress in 2006 only to find out that there is a segment of the Democratic
Party in Congress called the Blue Dog Democrats who are as neoconservative
as the Republican neocons. The Democrats of good heart haven't the votes to
do spit, let alone impeach those so clearly in need of it. No one, it
seems, can change the course of this wildly unpopular junta.

The Burmese monks are willing to die for freedom. We won't even miss enough
work to go to Washington, shut it down, demand the end of this corporatist
tyranny, and sit in place until our demands are met. That's what it's going
to take to put the people back in control of their country, but we're too
economically oppressed to miss work.

So we get what we've got. Those who don't learn their history are doomed to
repeat it about every two generations in the US. We live Richard Nixon's
wet dream. The US, Britain, and Spain decided to attack Iraq, and they did
so, without permission from the UN. This is a war crime. The Spanish and
English threw the bastards out of office. We can't keep them from
bankrupting the country, throwing ever more treasure and blood down the
corporatist rathole trying to seize Iraq's oil to fuel the American Empire
and to get Unocal's pipeline laid through Afghanistan.

Vandana Shiva says, at www.alternet.org/workplace/63541 , to challenge
corporate power and embrace true democracy. We're so far from that in the
US it's disgusting. We're sheep to be shorn every time the corporadoes feel
poor again.

Corporatism is the combination of governmental power and economic power,
according to Mussolini. Thousands of US soldiers died in World War II to
defeat Mussolini and corporatism. Two generations later, we've let it
return to life, seize the US, and run roughshod over the world. Watch the
Tim Robbins movie, "Rock the Cradle" to see where this started. The
Constitution lies broken in the dirt, inoperable. If you're okay with this,
that's your problem. If you're not, two or three million of you meet me in
DC and let's shut this tyranny down. It's better to die fighting than to
live on your knees.

Tommy Tolson
Austin, TX