permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Course in Nicaragua

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Hannah Roessler <hannahroessler@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Course in Nicaragua
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:12:57 -0400

***Please post, pass the word, tell your friends! PERMACULTURE DESIGN
COURSEISLA OMETEPE, NICARAGUAFEBRUARY 10th-25th, 2008 www.projectbonafide.com
This 16-day permaculture course will be held on stunning Isla Ometepe, an
island of twin volcanoes in southern Nicaragua. The permaculture site,
Project Bona Fide (www.projectbonafide.com) has been in development for
nearly a decade, and has become an important center for education and
community development. The 26-acre demonstration site features
infrastructural systems such as: natural buildings built with local
materials, terraced zone 1 gardens, medicinal plant gardens, an extensive
nursery, seed bank, developing fruit and nut orchards, food forests, native
timber forestry initiatives, timber bamboo plantings, water-catchment, drip
irrigation and ferrocement technologies, renewable energy systems, and
composting toilets. These systems help to support social programs, such as
the Escuela del Campo which provides educational opportunities based in
ecological agriculture in order to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and
skills throughout the local community. We also work closely with a local
Women’s Group, Rosas de Volcanes, on a variety of community based efforts.
The Escuela del Campo, Rosas de Volcanes, and Bona Fide all work together on
community reforestation efforts that are supported by our seed bank and
nursery endeavors. These reforestation efforts are furthered supported by our
annual “Intercambio des Semillas”, or Seed and Plant Exchange. Bona Fide also
supports Café Infantil, a children’s nutritional kitchen run by local women
in the town of Balgue (the local community we serve). Upcoming projects
include a community center, planned for 2008. The developing site, interwoven
with the support we’ve received from our local community, allows Bona Fide to
be fertile ground for cultural exchange on the island and beyond.Some of the
topics covered in the February 2008 Permaculture Design Course will include:
• Principles and Ethics of Permaculture Design• Site analysis and design,
from the tropics to temperate regions• Landscape master planning and
microclimate design• Reading the landscape and pattern recognition• Design
for climate change• Regenerative Land Management and Stewardship• Water
catchment, storage, filtration, and distribution• Biologically based
treatment of greywater and blackwater• Using greywater in the landscape•
Natural building techniques and vernacular architecture• Plant propagation
and grafting• Organic horticulture• Medicinal plant propagation, usage and
preparations• • Soil rehabilitation and
fertility strategies• Myco-forestry and myco-filtration• Orchard design and
maintenance• Renewable energies and biofuels• Local and Regenerative
economics• Urban and suburban permaculture strategies• Ecovillage design and
community building strategies• Networking within the permaculture community
and beyond …..and much more! The course is taught in English and is
simultaneously translated into Spanish via FM-headsets in the classroom.
Instructors: Christopher Shanks (US), Micheal Judd (US), Andrea Calfuquir
(Argentina), Katherine Young (GB), Hannah Roessler (Canada). Interpreter:
Christopher Fallas (Costa Rica) Course Cost: $1250 US www.projectbonafide.com
Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!