permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Projects in Uganda?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaian Life" <eco@gaianlife.co.uk>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Projects in Uganda?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:11:21 +0100

YES!
Organic Perspectives is a group from Kamuli District, Uganda, and they are about to set up a seed bank and demonstration nursery with the guidance of the UK based business Gaian Life (which I own). They have tree seeds being sent over from the New Forests Project and we hope to help them expand to a level where they can act as a tree seed distribution point for all of Uganda. Gaian Life's participation in this is to provide the seeds, eco-technology and necessary expertise to allow the farmers to start to implement permaculture systems on their farms in order to increase their standard of living as well as food security.
Surveys of the farmers in Uganda started yesterday to allow us to find out exactly what needs they wish us to address. By the end of this week we will also be sending seeds to smooth their transition to organic methods...ie natural pesticides Derris (rotenone), Tobacco (nicotine) and several green manure and living mulch species. The use of nicotine is not approved for Organic production under Soil Association guidelines, but as people's lives depend on this we have decided to use natural pesticides as an extreme measures backup until the local numbers of beneficial organisms can build up to an extent where pest problems won't ocur on a large scale.
We are planning to be over in Uganda around Dec-Jan to teach groups of farmers how to use passive solar for things like crop drying and black water sterilisation etc, so maybe this would be the kind of thing you are interested in or perhaps you would be more interested in helping with the teaching nursery?
You can contact me at eco@gaianlife.co.uk and also check out the website at www.gaianlife.co.uk. The project has its own web-page at www.gaianlife.co.uk/organicperspectives

Hope that whets your appetitite a bit!
Cheers
Helen