permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Design critiques

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Design critiques
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 23:39:16 +1000

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Linda Shewan wrote:
> I will do that. Just updating my designs - might take a while, I'm using
> Microsoft Visio and I'm not very good at it... Any ideas for free
> software to create designs. Visio is free through business so...

Hi Linda,

That's a curious sentiment .. that because it's free (you mean
that in the $-sense only) that it's okay to use. I wonder how we'd
react to people saying that glyphosate is okay to use so long as
you don't pay for it.

The trouble with using Visio is that in order to then collaborate
with any other potential users of your data, these other people are
obliged to acquire, at cost or at odds with the law, their own copy
of that software.

You may want to investigate the gimp or dia - the latter is
probably more aligned to what you are trying to do, but I've
had some measure of success with the former for doing overlays
of design / tracking activities within my garden.

The subject of actual design apps - gis, cad, landscape, architect,
etc - that are free in the important sense of that word, comes up
periodically. The last time I was involved in that kind of discussion
I think the consensus was that nothing comparable to the stuff
that's available on The Beast's platform existed.

Jedd.