permaculture - Re: [permaculture] No-till potatoes - surface cultivation and deep mulching

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa in Oregon <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] No-till potatoes - surface cultivation and deep mulching
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:42:26 -0700 (PDT)

We use old hay, tucking it up around the plants as they grow so just
a few inches of leaves peek out, leaving some in flakes, and shoving
some down between the stems as they get large. I toss on weeds from
other areas too. We grow in beds and the mulch gets 2' high, might
be harder in rows. It eats up several bales for 100sgft. I bury the
seed potatoes barely below the soil level (clay), the potatoes grow on
the dirt-mulch boundary and if the mulch isn't think enough, the
potatoes get green. We don't seem to end up with weed problems using
old hay for potatoes (but then, this is all drip, no rain). When
potatoes are harvested the mulch is reused on winter crops.

Lisa in Oregon

> > I am growing a test plot (about 18 row feet) under shallow
> > cultivation. No trench, seed taters buried 4 inches, and mulching
> > with straw. My question about specific mulching technique: how
> > dense? How closely packed between plants? Should I lay down and
> > bury side shoots, or gather the plant into a central bundle and
> > mulch around it?
> >
> > If anyone has experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any
>
> > help!

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of
spyware protection.